Friday, December 17, 2010

A change of plan

There has been a small change of plan for the Christmas holiday. Due to a number of reasons, instead of spending Christmas in Sudan, I'm going to be going to Germany for the holidays to see my family there.

Pros: Christmas in Germany = good food, good family time, hot showers and the chance to buy instant oatmeal, chewing gum, gummi bears and post-its (all things I did not bring and now regret missing out on), plus hanging out with my cousins and aunt and uncle.

Cons: missing out on an African Christmas, only having jungle-appropriate clothes in Germany in December, the cost of a plane ticket from Juba to Dusseldorf, being kind of home, and yet, not quite.

On another note, I have been re-reading classic books from my childhood, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, not as good as I remember. Anne of Green Gables, even better.

And also, the last few weeks have been crazy; adjusting to a new country, figuring out a new job, understanding a new organization, eating too much goat, etc. Also, I'm trying to moderate my remarks in order to prevent any misunderstandings for the organization I work for as well as myself. All of this means the the quality of my writing hasn't been great. So, for the 2 people who read my blog, I'm sorry about this. It will get better and more interesting once I settle in.

5 comments:

  1. You now have a whopping 3 followers!!! So proud of your ambition Jen. Can't wait to hear more from you. Merry Christmas, German style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing style is ALWAYS above average! :) I love you- glad you get to see some family at Christmastime. I just re-read To Kill A Mockingbird and I am still convinced it is one of the top 3 books ever to be written. Do you need anything from the states that I can mail to Germany for you??? Let me know- love, prayers, well wishes and blessings your way!
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE having followers, it makes me feel special! :) (seriously, it makes writing this so much better if I can imagine the person I'm talking to)

    Sara- I'll have to give that one a re-read, i bought a nook before I left and downloaded 100 classic books onto it. So, I'm working my way through those now.
    Thanks for all of the good wishes, prayers, love, blessings, etc.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, you MUST read Gone With the Wind! ...and I'll follow you as soon as I figure out how... xo
    ~the Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I have read Gone with the Wind-- several times. I LOVE it. I can also quote almost the whole movie by heart.

    ReplyDelete