Wednesday, March 2, 2011

News hound

I am a news hound. Really. No day seems complete unless I've spent an hour or more surfing the net reading about what is happening in the world. (this represents a significant loss to my general productivity, but has great benefits for my cocktail party conversations)
 All this surfing usually nets (pun intended) a knowledge of the state of politics and the economy, 2 or 3 articles about Angelina and Brad, a few travel articles, something about the newest "super food" and a few really fascinating pieces that I wanted to share. So, instead of a million little posts, on facebook, emails to my friends and a blog here or there, I'm posting several links at once.

In no particular order...
First up: barefoot grandmothers in India. Illiterate, older women are being trained to install and maintain solar panels in rural communities all over the world. Small, practicaly, innovative, and with a big impact. I love this project.

Secondly: Mental illness is one of the very last issues that societies tackle. This article is about Kenya's mental health care system (or more accurately, the lack thereof)

On third base: Lady Gaga arrives at Grammy's in an egg??? OK, I understand weird, art, really I do... but is this woman an artist, or is she just a very media savvy saleswoman? Are these maybe the same things? Andy Warhol did say, "Making money is art"...

Fourth in the line up: I have a serious love of internet lists. Give me a top 10 this or a worst 15 that and I'm a happy camper. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Elle magazine, the ask E. Jean columnists put out a list of 25 things every woman should know.  Can #7 really be true?
I'm going to try... actually I like this whole list.

Number Five: this is not an official news article, but is a very funny bit of travel/ adventure blogging by my friend and SPH classmate, Aimee. If you like hiking, tropical rain, or mountain gorillas you'll like this. Actually, if you don't like these things, you might like this blog post even more...

Il sesto: Medicinal beer, containing the anti-biotic tetracycline was found in 2,000 bones of Nubian mummies. (Ancient Nubia is present day Sudan).

And then there were seven...: This article is a series of graphs about wealth distribution in the US. Thank to Marcus for posting in on facebook. Oh, and its a lot more interesting than it sounds...

1 comment:

  1. If you don't already, try reading the Daily Beast. It distills the news down to cocktail worthy talking points. If you don't clue anyone else into the fact that you're reading it, you will look quite clever indeed. Alas, if discovered, and you regurgitate all the news just as-read on the blog, you will look kinda goofy.

    ReplyDelete